The Mayawati government in an unprecedented act invoked the provisions of the National Security Act against Varun Gandhi for inciting communal tension through his alleged speeches . Another charge leveled against Varun Gandhi was that he incited his supporters to resort to violence outside the CJM court. The maximum period of detention under the NSA is one year with no provision for bail.
But court granted bail to Varun Gandhi in both the cases that were lodged against him in connection with his alleged inflammatory speeches. However, he continues to remain in jail as the Uttar Pradesh Government has invoked the National Security Act (NSA) against him.
The silence of the self righteous secular and human brigade is deafening! Afterall, these were the same group who opposed POTA on the grounds that it violated human rights! They had the audacity to speak about human right for terrorists but they have given silent approval for NSA on Varun Gandhi!
Communist Party of India (Marxist) stand on POTA
The Vajpayee government enacted the Prevention of Terrorism Act (Pota), a draconian piece of legislation in the name of fighting terrorism. The Pota, like its precursor Tada, is being misused against political opponents.
The adoption of the POTA marks a new onslaught on the democratic
rights of citizens. It is in tune with the BJP-led government's aim to use the
"terrorism" plank to suppress dissent and target the minority community.
Brinda Karat justifies NSA against Varun
Justifying the Uttar Pradesh government's decision to slap the National Security Act (NSA) against Varun Gandhi, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) on Monday said a strong message had to be sent to those making hate speeches.
Other speeches which media and assorted seculars choose to ignore -
- Imran Kidwai a senior Congress leader says
"I regret not being a mufti. Had I been one, I would have issued just one fatwa that going with the BJP amounts to committing kufr".
AICC in-charge for Punjab Moshina Kidwai and party candidate and Union Minister Pawan Bansal were reportedly present at the public meeting in which Imran is alleged to have made this statement.
- Congress announced an electoral understanding with Ittihad-e-Millat Council in Uttar Pradesh whose president Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan has a penchant to announce bounty for head of people
- He had given an open call to assassinate former US president George W Bush during his India visit in March 2006. The organization had offered a reward of Rs 25 crore to anybody who would undertake the ‘holy mission'.
- He had also announced a reward of Rs. 5 lakhs to anyone who beheads Ms. Tasmila Nasreen.
Raza Khan said he was aligning with Congress because “of its secular policies” and that he felt the need to “strengthen secularism”.
- In Hyderabad, congress is allied with Majlis-e-Iteehadul Muslimeen (MIM). Three MLAs of the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen or MIM were among those who attacked Taslima Nasreen at hyderabad and as if to put salt on the would police instead of arresting people who lead the attack, booked Taslima Nasreen for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, language — a charge that can get her two years in prison, if proven.
- CPM's tie up with People's Democratic Party whose leader Abdul Nasser Madani, whose inflammatory speeches had led to several riots in kerala . Madani and his wife Sufia were allegedly involved in terror activities and recruiting youngsters for extremist organization. Madhani was also one of key suspects in Coimbatore Blast case but was released due to lack of evidence.