Friday, July 28, 2006

Plan your Future

I was told that I should plan my future. I should try to "invest" money for the future. So of late, I started to visit the money section of newspaper to find avenues to "Invest" so that I can "Plan" my future.

But nothing had prepared me for the news/Ad I read this morning. I read "Plan funeral now to make sure you have the final word". Gee.. thats a worthy "Investment" to "plan" the future! Ateast we are 100% sure of the event.

It seems that in US Average cost for funeral is USD 6,500 but sometime it can go to USD20,000. I think it would be worthwhile to study if funeral can be outsourced to a low cost country.

Robert Biggins, president of the National Funeral Directors Association adds that Planning our own funeral "eases the burden for families". I can almost hear family members saying: Hey Plan your future(or funeral) don't be a burden atleast after death.

So now you are convinced that you should plan your future. As always in US they also make you aware of your rights. Hmmm...Rights after death(thats an interesting proposition...).

Some of them are like, The funeral home is required to give you a free copy of the price list when you visit. I can imagine the discussion with the salesman.

Salesman: Sir, how can I help you?
Customer: I am planning my funeral, can you please help me.
Salesman: My Pleasure sir. We will help you all the way down (or up..)
Customer: I like Red Colour. Do you have anything in that colour? Do you think it will suit me?
and so on...

Another major option is Prepaid Funeral. But it seems that s
ome families have lost their money when a funeral home went out of business. Who can blame the company, What are they supposed to do if the oldman just donot die. I guess the funeral companies may be sending an email saying "Due to Steep Increase in business in parts of Asia, we have decided to move our business to Asia in next 90 Days. If you die in next 90 days we would be able to do the cremation in US. However after 90 days you would have to travel to Asia for the same. Since you are our very special customer we can arrange for the transportation cost, However, This is a limited time 120 days offer"

Last but not the least. You are also allowed to leave instructions. According to Melanie Cullen, author of Get It Together: Organize Your Records So Your Family Won't Have To putting your letter of final instructions in a safe deposit box isn't a good idea. Apparently, If you die on a weekend or a holiday, your family may not be able to get to your safe deposit box until the bank opens. I guess she has not heard of Kerala, Where everyday is a holiday due to Bandh. On that note, can we give special instruction like "Please kick the ass of so and so, he had made my life miserable?"

So Guys what are you waiting for. Plan your future (or funeral)

No comments: